Friday, March 26, 2010

Reality Check

Some days just seem to put life into perspective more than others. They seem to wake you up and smack you right in the face. Today was one of those days.

For those of you that don't know much about my dad, I will explain. He is an amazing, loving, caring father to me. He is so dear to me and I don't think I am always the best at reminding him of that quite enough. I get a little too caught up in my life, and need to take more chances to visit with him and just spend time with him. A little over two years ago, he was diagnosed with brain cancer, i believe it was stage 3. He had the right frontal lobe of his brain removed, the tumor was about the size of a walnut. It was a traumatic experience for all of us, but he got through it. He received six weeks of radiation, along with 24 rounds of chemotherapy. It was so emotionally draining to watch him go through that, and not being able to fully understand or help. Praise the Lord for helping him get through those times, and I pray that he continues to stay healthy and in remission. My dad is a part of a support group, Grey Matters. He is able to connect with people that are going through the same things he is that really understand what it is like. It has been a great thing for him, such a blessing. He has met a lot of incredible people, including a dear friend, Mark. Today Mark passed away. Mark and my dad both started out with the same exact problem, the same type of tumor. Mark was in remission for 5 years and the cancer came back, except a lot worse. He underwent three or four operations, and then the Lord decided it was his time. This breaks my heart and I can't even begin to explain to you how much this brings back so many emotions and sadness. Once I found out, I called my dad to check on him. Let me just say this one thing, please pray. Pray that the Lord gives my dad strength right now. He needs it. The news that I heard today won't leave my head. It honestly scares me. I want so badly for my dad to stay healthy and for everything to be ok. I guess I just don't understand why these types of things have to happen. My mom keeps reminding me that it is in the Lord's hands and I have to trust that He will take care of it. But, am I not allowed to be a little bit scared? Scared of the future. Don't get me wrong, I have complete and utter faith in the amazing powerful God that made me, but sometimes I get a little scared. I think it's just human. Tonight I have been quite emotional on the inside, and I need to keep reminding myself that God is great! HE IS INCREDIBLE! He has blessed me with a father who loves and cares about me so much! A dad that puts my needs before his own. I love you so much Dad!!! You mean the world to me!!

Praying for my dad, his friend Mark and their family, and for strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment