Thursday, October 28, 2010

Life Plans :)

So let's just say that this week has been crazy insane. Things are starting to brighten up though! When I had my visit at Evangel and talked to the lady that would be my advisor or whatever its called for my education dept, I asked her several questions about being able to teach in Plano and what my plans were to do after I graduate. My ultimate goal is to come to Plano and teach because their special ed programs are incredible and I would love to teach in that district. I asked the lady if the degree plan, certifications, and testing would all get me to my ultimate goal of teaching in Plano for an early childhood sped alc/elc classroom. She told me she thought it would but that I needed to double check with the distirct to make sure I was getting what I needed to so that one day I could work there. I emailed several people this past monday, thinking there would be no problems at all, and came to find out that it was a good thing i asked...

In Plano they do things a lot different, especially in the sped world because they hold that department to such high standards. I told them that my ultimate goal was to teach for that district and I needed to know the best way to get there. They told me that they would be much more likely to hire me if I graduate from a Texas school, especially with what I am wanting to do. Each state, let alone each district, handles the sped world so different. I was told by administration and a teacher in Plano that I need to be taught by the Texas standards for this field and district, and the testing that I would have gone through in Missouri wouldn't match up with what I needed to teach here and would have to go through a completely different certification process.

All that to say, my plans have now changed. Knowing my ultimate goal, I had to be wise with my decision and think long term. As much as I love Evangel, it's just not the smartest move for what I am wanting to do. SO, now I will be staying in this area and going to the Collin Higher Education Center in Mckinney, which filters in several surrounding colleges. I will get my degree through texas a&m (commerce), but will be able to take the courses at the mckinney site. Also, once I get enough college hours I can start subing in Plano, which would be a great way of getting my name out there. I want to get my masters and they offer the program I want through TAMU, and Plano will possibly pay for me to get it once I start teaching. All in all it is just the smartest way to go.

Basically God has closed some doors, but has so qu
ickly opened up others. I have already made a good friend this semester that's also going into the educaiton field and going to TAMU that wants to get an apartment together in the fall. I have also been going to the Parks church, a new church in Mckinney that I LOVE, and have met a ton of people my age. I went to a college group and loved it!! God has definitely been bringing me peace these past two days and is preparing me for this new journey.

I'm trying to keep positive and know that He has it all worked out. And even financially, I am able to save a ton for my next few years. This is going to be a growing experience for me and I'm already learning how to get out there and be more independent, learning how to come out of my little bubble and experience new things, on my own!

Please be praying with me that God continues to help me through this and walk me through these next steps of life! Sometimes, life is a little bit of a rollercoaster, but it is SO worth the ride! Going to take every new opportunity and make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment