Saturday, June 5, 2010

the sweet life

warning: this entry will be long, but well worth it in my opinion

On Friday I went to Makenna's end of the school year party and fell in love all over again. I can't quite put into words the desire I have to work with these children one day...but I will try my best to explain to you what I saw on Friday.

Up until I met Makenna, I was naive about special needs children. I had no understanding of the time and effort that goes into them on a daily basis, especially from their teachers. Makenna's teacher, Sarah, is incredible! I look up to her so much and pray that one day I get to be walking in her shoes, my dream job.

When I first walked into Makenna's classroom, I saw four beautiful, special, loving children. All with a different story in a different walk of life, just like the rest of us are, but different. They each have an innocence about them that melts your heart. Some of them are in pain, some of them have never seen the blue sky, some of them love the sound of music, and some of them are just learning to take their first steps. They are all children with such joy, no matter their state of being. As I sat next to Kenna during circle time, tears almost came to my eyes. I watched a teacher, with such obvious love in her heart for these children, cater to each of their needs. For a blind autistic boy, she would beat her hand against the wall to help him learn to listen to the sound to figure out how to get around. He would listen and then feel for her hand and he knew he was in the right place. The look on his face was priceless, he was so proud. For Makenna, she would make her take steps to get from place to place, she would make Makenna make choices between two things. When these kids accomplish something as little as making a choice between two cds they want to listen to, they feel like they are on top of the world. It is incredible to watch them. I wish each and every one of you could take a walk in this world and I promise you it would change your life in some way, shape or form. I wish I had more words to share with you about my incredible experience, but I am at a loss.

This is my passion. This is my heart. This is who I am and who I want to become. This is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. I want to make a difference.





No comments:

Post a Comment